Don Draper’s Guide to Social Media
Saturday, March 3, 2012
1. Don Draper: Advertising is based on one thing: happiness.
Nobody wants to read posts that are depressing or disturbing. And they don't RT or share them either. There's a reason.
Inspire. Teach. Motivate. Make followers happy.
2. Don Draper: I don't care if you work ten seconds if you bring me something I like.
You could spend all month working on content strategy, but if people won't like reading it, you've failed. If it inspired you, and more importantly, it would inspire your followers, then don't over-analyze it; post it.
3. Don Draper: You want some respect? Go out there and get it for yourself.
If all of your posts are links to someone else's material and quotes from the greats, what is setting you apart from everyone else who's posting the same stuff?
4. Don Draper: [Reading aloud from a piece of paper] "The man is shamed by being openly ridiculed and rejected; it requires an audience."
Pete Campbell: What is that, fortune cookie?
Don Draper: It's from that book you were all supposed to read.
Pete Campbell: Oh.
Do your research. If you are going to post with authority, know what the hell you are talking about. Don't show your ass by not keeping up with what your followers already know.
Social Media participants show their asses more often than you might think. Most often in discussion questions. If you're paying attention to what others post, you'll notice. I do.
5. Peggy Olson: Sex sells.
Don Draper: Says who? Just so you know, the people who talk that way think that monkeys can do this. They take all this monkey crap and just stick it in a briefcase completely unaware that their success depends on something more than their shoeshine.
If you want to be provocative in your posts, make it make sense. Make it have relevance. Don't use it just for cheap attention.
YOU are the product. You - FEELING something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex.
Social Media has the unique aspect of requiring you to reveal yourself as a person. Whether you are a company, a sole proprietor, or just you personally. That is why Social Media is more popular than traditional media. People like to connect - and that is through emotions, feelings, personal nature.
Take if from another (real-life) marketing guru, Simon Sinek: "People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."
6. Don Draper: Every woman wants choices, but in the end, none wants to be one of a hundred in a box.
Post like you are talking directly to your individual followers. That's golden. Followers want to feel they are recognized for their (perceived) uniqueness. No one wants to feel their interests are generic. Read about Chris Brogan's Unfollow experiment to understand more.
7. Don Draper: And there are so many real problems in the world.
Don't post crap just to be able to post. Don't waste your followers time. Make it real. Make it worthwhile. Make it stick.
8. Don Draper: People tell you who they are, but we ignore it - because we want them to be who we want them to be.
If you are working too hard trying to make your followers into your wannabes, they'll see right through it and leave you or ignore you. They'll know you aren't listening to them and that will turn them right off.
9. Don Draper: When a man walks into a room, he brings his whole life with him. He has a million reasons for being anywhere, just ask him. If you listen, he'll tell you how he got there. How he forgot where he was going, and that he woke up. If you listen, he'll tell you about the time he thought he was an angel or dreamt of being perfect.
And finally, give a damn about your followers. Quit being the posting narcissist. People who take the time to create a Social Media account are putting themselves out there. They are human beings, like Willie Loman, and "attention must be paid."
When is the last time you clicked on a followers page or profile? Their Twitter bio, their Facebook info tab, their LinkedIn profile?
Do you take the time to learn who your followers are?
- If not, you're slinging your posts like a slingshot at no particular target...
Subscribe To Our Blog
Domains & Hosting
Facts & Figures
Ideas & Inspiration
Marketing & SEO
Security & Privacy
03/03/2016 - A Rough Guide To Social Media
06/20/2012 - Banned in The U.S.A.
03/05/2012 - These Social Media Stats Will
03/03/2012 - Don Draper’s Guide to Social M
03/21/2011 - Are You Part of The ‘IN’ Crowd
02/15/2011 - Twitt-Tips | 10 Suggestions on
10/28/2010 - How Social Media Worked for IK
10/09/2010 - By The Numbers – Part 2
09/09/2010 - 32 Ways To Use Facebook for Yo
06/26/2010 - Should My Company Be On Facebo