How does SEO really work with Google?
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
“How does SEO really work with Google” is (up-to-now) the most asked question of 2017. It seems that organizations are shifting marketing resources towards search engine optimization (SEO) more than ever since the new year – and, rightfully so; Google is where your customers now live. So, how do we reach them? The answer is surprisingly simple.
Here is what we do to achieve high organic search engine placement:
1. We build your website properly and set up your Google listing. Our team goes through a 32 point checklist on every build (less than 1 year ago it was a 20 point checklist) to ensure that all appropriate ranking signals are incorporated in the website.
NOTE: ranking signals are items like mobile interface, SSL, etc. that gives your website higher visibility than websites NOT containing these items.
2. We help identify where your customers are and what they are searching. Our team utilizes Google AdWord planner to identify what terms are best according to your goals, industry, and the geographic location of your customers. If it were 1989 and you were advertising in the Yellow Pages – you would be sure to choose the proper section and only advertise in the cities/regions you serve. While search engines are much more advanced that a 4 inch thick yellow book, the concept is remarkably similar.
3. We deliver consistent, relevant content through your primary website. Our team views this process as ‘advertising to Google.’ In other words, we want your website to communicate to Google that it is more relevant than those of your competitors. We do that by delivering relevant, consistent content – based on the most desirable keyword sets identified.
NOTE: You can supplement these efforts with a pay-per-click (PPC) campaign. While we have seen websites get indexed on page 1 in less than 10 days, it usually takes 30-60. During this time, key terms can be purchased to ensure placement until organic SEO efforts deliver results. This step is not always necessary, but sometimes can be quite useful depending on how ‘noisy’ the individual market is.
4. We ensure you are appropriately represented on websites that are not your own (backlinking). Pushing content to social media will not only help indexing on search engines, but can also help drive relevant traffic (which tends to be much more beneficial than showing up on page 1). Consideration needs to be given to a social media campaign for all organizations – and create a plan accordingly. If video content is an option, YouTube (owned by Google) presents great opportunities to supplement page one links of your organization with page one videos of your organization.
5. Measure / Analyze / Pivot. Unlike traditional advertising, SEO is rather fluid and can be changed mid-stream. These are not the days of purchasing billboards that will remain static for 3,6 or 12 months. Strategic Internet Marketing gives us the tools to not only pivot a campaign to achieve better results – but the tools to measure the effectiveness of the campaign in real time! Use these tools!
In our experience, most organizations are inconsistently doing 1 or 2 of those aforementioned steps before they give up and engage the AI Software team. So, it is important to remember the following:
“If two of us are trying to outrun a lion, I don’t need to be faster than the lion – I just need to be faster than you!”
Implement these 5 steps into your Strategic Internet Marketing campaign today and be faster than the competition!